Sunday, November 3, 2013

DHS ITF IdeaScale Cybersecurity Project – Lack of Support

This may be the last of the blog posts about the latest DHS-IdeaScale project to open a public dialog about homeland security topics. This dialog addresses the DHS Integrated Task Force project to help advance the DHS implementation of the President’s Cybersecurity Framework outlined in EO 13636. The earlier posts in this series were:


It has been quite a while since I last wrote about the DHS ITF IdeaScale Cybersecurity Project mainly because there has been little of interest posted to the site. It has been a number of weeks now since the last activity of any sort has taken place. With the recent publication of the Preliminary Cybersecurity Framework, it would seem that there is no longer any need for input via this site.

I have mixed feelings about the limited success seen in this commendable attempt to get detailed input from the public about the complex topic of cybersecurity and the development of the cybersecurity framework. First off it is heartening to see the publication of 23 ‘ideas’ from a wide variety of people, particularly since most of the submitters were not well known commenters on matters of cybersecurity. The broadening of the source of public ideas is always a good thing.

Likewise, I was pleased to see the number and quality of the comments that were offered about these ideas. I don’t recall a single personal attack and the negative comments were all apparently offered in the spirit of constructive criticism. It is nice to see this sort of discussion when the flame war is the more common mode of discourse on internet forums.

I was severely disappointed, however, in the complete lack of feedback from DHS on the ideas discussed on this site. Beyond an occasional ‘nice comment’ posting from anonymous moderators, there is no indication that anyone at DHS looked at, much less considered any of these ideas. Nor have I seen any effort by DHS to publicize this effort.


I have been a strong supporter of the IdeaScale efforts by DHS. I have contributed ideas, comments and votes. I have written about the ideas (both mine and others) posted to the sites and I have strongly recommended that people participate in the various efforts. I will continue to monitor and participate in the ongoing and future IdeaScale, but I can no longer suggest that others do the same. I’ll participate for the same reason that I blog, I have an innate need to put in my two cents worth. It allows me the chance to say ‘I told you so’ when my ideas are ignored. Unless you have a similar need, don’t waste your time participating in the DHS IdeaScale projects.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */